Nic and I will be celebrating our one year anniversary in just a few short days and I truly cannot believe how quickly the time went. There are days when I feel like I have known Nic forever, when in reality, we have only known each other for three years. As cheesy as it sounds, I don’t remember my life before him; I believe strongly that my life did not begin until I met him.
He is the most thoughtful and patient man – he encourages me when I am down, but also bears with me with I am overexcited and dramatic. Although there will be countless things for me to learn throughout our marriage, I wanted to put a list together of a few things I have taken away from our first 12 months.
- You can’t force someone to like cheese.
- Communication is hard sometimes.
- There is no limit to how many times you can tell someone “I love you.”
- The have a good day kiss can be just as important as the good night kiss.
- The dogs snoring will wake you every night. It is a battle you will never win.
- Having a glass of whiskey ready and waiting has the ability to communicate more than words.
- Sometimes you have to watch really crappy movies. Pretend to like them. It’s okay.
- It is not necessary to keep score on how many times someone unloads or doesn’t load the dishwasher. No one ever wins this game.
- It is pathetically impossible and physically painful for me to imagine, for one second, doing life without you.
- Spending two months on the road together was the biggest challenge and the best experience.
- Pizza is always the answer.
- So is bourbon.
- How a person treats a stray dog says everything about them.
- Nothing is better than making no plans, but knowing I still get to spend the night with you.
- Once a mountain man, always a mountain man.
“You were lying next to me
I looked across and fell in love
So I took your hand
Back through lamp-lit streets and knew
Everything led back to you”
Ed Sheeran – All of the Stars